A recent survey showed that almost 4 out of 5 people experience lower back pain at some point in their lives. For some, it can be a simple ache that goes away with time. However, for others, it can be a long-term problem with much more serious implications.
Research has shown that Pilates can be highly effective in treating lower back pain. Some of the major benefits of Pilates include improved core and muscle strength, greater flexibility, and improved posture.
Lower back pain can be caused due to a number of reasons which range from simple stiffness to herniated discs. So if you have a nagging pain that just doesn’t seem to go away, you need to first consult your doctor before going for any form of treatment.
Having said that, Pilates exercises can be customised depending upon the cause and type of lower back pain. Some of the most common Pilates exercises used for lower back pain management are:
1. PELVIC CURL
- Lie supine with the knees bent and feet flat on the mat, hip-width apart. Place the arms by the sides with the palms facing down. Relax your neck, shoulders, and lower back.
- Inhale to prepare, exhale to set the core, and slowly curl the pelvis and spine off the mat, one vertebra at a time.
- Inhale and hold at the top. The pelvis should be at maximum posterior tilt and a stretch should be in the hip flexors.
- Finally, exhale and slowly lower the trunk. Roll down one vertebra at a time, returning to the starting position.
- Repeat the sequence ten times.
2. SINGLE LEG LIFTS
- Lie supine with bent knees, parallel legs, relaxed arms at the sides with the palms down, and a neutral pelvis position.
- Exhale and raise one leg until the knee is above the hip joint and the thigh perpendicular to the mat.
- Inhale and return to the starting position by lowering the leg to the mat.
- Repeat the exercise five times with the same leg. Place the foot fully down on the mat
- Perform the same sequence with the opposite leg.
3. CHEST LIFT
- Lie supine with the knees bent and the feet flat on the mat, hip-width apart. Interlace the fingers behind the head and bend the elbows so they point sideways.
- Slowly curl the head and upper trunk up, so that the shoulder blades lift off the mat while the back portion of the waistline stays in contact with the mat.
- Inhale, drawing the abdominals in even deeper as the height of the trunk is maintained and paused
- Exhale to lower the head and chest back to the starting position without releasing the abdominals.
- Repeat the sequence ten times.
4. SHOULDER BRIDGE PREP
- Start in the up position of the pelvic curl (as detailed above).
- Exhale and lift one leg up to the tabletop position, moving only at the hip joint and keeping the pelvis level.
- Inhale and lower the leg to tap the mat.
- Repeat 5 to 10 times with one leg and then switch sides.
- Finish the exercise by placing both feet on the mat and rolling down one vertebra at a time.
PAIN MANAGEMENT IN DUBAI
If you are looking for a fitness studio in Dubai that will guide you through the various Pilates exercises for lower back pain management, then PAD Pilates and Dance will be the perfect choice for you. At PAD, we’ll ensure that all your muscles are in shape so that you can prevent any future injuries to your back.
To book a class with us, give us a call at 04-2941745. You can also send us a message on WhatsApp at 971569054588 or send us an e-mail at [email protected]